My name is Lisa Truesdell.
Experienced Teacher &
Guide for your homeschool journey
I’ve been homeschooling since my daughter’s birth, nine years ago. I just didn’t realize it at first. Prior to becoming a mother, I spent 10 years teaching in the elementary classroom. Now I am combining my two loves; being a teacher and being a mother.
Who This Blog is For
Parents looking for
- Confidence in teaching their own children
- Guidance in starting their first year of homeschool
- Ideas for making learning enjoyable and meaningful
- Advice on teaching using best practices
- Encouragement and inspiration to keep on keeping on
45 Random Things About Me
- I’m an introvert.
- I drink coffee morning, noon and night.
- I like to take photos.
- I’m a thinker.
- It can be good, because it means I’m thorough.
- It can be bad, because it takes me way too long to make decisions.
- I threw a Narnia party for my daughter’s 7th birthday. I was the white witch and served Turkish Delight.
- I had no idea I would end up homeschooling. Here’s my story.
- I believe in love at first sight. It happened to me way back in 1992.
- I love tulips.
- I have a masters degree in Elementary Education.
- I also am certified in Teaching the Gifted and Talented.
- During my pregnancy I had mixed feelings about breastfeeding. That all changed once I had my daughter.
- I let her wean naturally. It took over four years. I’ll let my son take his time too.
- I like to sleep in, whenever I can.
- I’ve had freckles for as long as I can remember.
- I’m usually late for everything, which drives my husband crazy.
- I taught everything from reading to Phys. Ed. when I worked in a small private school out in the country.
- I was born and raised in Maine, but I don’t have much of an accent.
- I love the ocean.
- For me, everything in nature paints a beautiful picture of God.
- I go wilderness camping every summer. It makes me appreciate hot showers and flush toilets.
- I’m a birder.
- I love reading to my children.
- Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables.
- My first paid teaching experience was a dream, a class of three kindergarten girls.
- I’m a cat person, but unfortunately they make me sneeze.
- We didn’t plan to have our children spaced 8 years apart. I lost three babies to miscarriage.
- Five years ago I thought my daughter was going to be an only child. I still can’t believe we now have a son. I am so grateful.
- I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I value fresh, home-cooked food.
- My optometrist once asked me if I wore colored contacts, because she’d never seen blue eyes quite like mine.
- As a child I sucked my thumb for a really, really long time. It’s a miracle I didn’t need braces.
- I try to sew, but I think knitting is easier.
- I struggle with anxiety. I’ve had some awful panic attacks in the past.
- Meet the Parents is a movie that always makes me laugh.
- Eating dark chocolate is a must, every day.
- I love a good yoga workout.
- The most practical parenting book I’ve ever read is How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.
- Neither of my children ever slept in a crib.
- My house was built before the Civil War.
- I follow Jesus. He loves me, challenges me, and gives me hope.
- I worked third shift as a waitress one summer, back when people could have a cup of coffee and smoke while reading the newspaper.
- I’ve been in a hot air balloon. It was beautiful and peaceful, but I’d never want to jump from a plane.
- I taught Shakespeare to a group of seven and eight year olds. I absolutely loved it.
- I love to learn new things.